Cotty wrote:

>This from DPReview on the UK pricing of the E-1 DSLR from
Olympus:

>"Olympus   UK has today confirmed that the body only list
price of the E-
1 digital   SLR (including 17.5% VAT) will be £1699.99. This
means that
at least   initially the E-1 will be approximately £200 more
than a Nikon
D100   and £450 more than a Canon EOS-10D. Assuming the
E-1's street
price   drops once the immediate rush is over we could see
it matching
the D100   at £1499 (inc. VAT). In my opinion this price is
simply too
high   for a new SLR system. We still don't have official
pricing for
lenses   or accessories."

<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03070101e1ukprice.asp>

>I agree that it is too high. Time will tell. That *ist D
has to be well
>into D10 territory. Has to be.

I disagree.

The E1 was never aimed to compete with
the consumer Nikon D100 and Canon EOS
10D.  It's very much a pro camera and is
positioned nearer to the Nikon D1 range
and Canon EOS 1D.  It is said to be built
like a tank and that alone positions it a
lot higher than the D100 and EOS D10.

When prices settle down, the E1 will be
seen as very good value for money.  With
Fuji and Olympus both making lenses for
this system, competition will develop and
drive prices down.

It seems likely that the lens mount and
interface will be licensed to independent
manufacturers and this will bring prices
down further.  It will be at that point,
and not before, that we should judge the
success (or otherwise) of the 4/3 system.

Personally, I think the 4/3 system could
be the future of digital, and that we will
see the 'Holy Grail' of a 24x36mm sensor
as more of a 'blind alley'.

No doubt Paal will tell me I'm wrong again.

;-)

John