[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Eactivist said:

> >I've noticed with foxes, though, that sometimes you can jump up and down
> >and wave your arms, and they'll just watch you.  But if you try to talk to
> >them, they'll run.  I figured talking would reassure them because
> >predators try to sneak up on their prey, but I was wrong.
>
> Interesting. Very few foxes around here.

>There may be more than you realize.  I'd lived more than 20 years in my
>home town in Minnesota and seen foxes there twice, but I'd assumed they
>were just passing through.  One winter when I went back on vacation, and I
>was a little more interested in that, there was an inch of snow on the
>ground, which let me go everywhere and see every track, pounce, and butt
>print.  And the foxes were everywhere, along railroad tracks, on the
>community college grounds, the YMCA grounds, a cemetary, behind a strip
>mall, behind a library, basically every place that I thought to
>look.  They must have literally been coming into my back yard every night,
>and I didn't have a clue.  But that's the way they are.  Where I am now, I
>count myself lucky if I see them once in ten trips to the woods, but I
>find their signs everywhere-- tracks, scat on the sidewalks, scent marks
>on light poles, etc.

Quite possible. I have seen about two foxes traveling through since I've been
here. One of the things on my to-do list is get a little more familiar with
various animals and find out information like that -- what the signs are, what
the scat looks like, etc. There is a wild life museum here, but they seem more
into animal rescue. When I visited I found very little actual information on
animals. Maybe a good book would be better. Or what Lon suggested, hunting
magazines. One thing I figure, where there are deer there are mountain lions (or
whatever the local equivalent is called). But I couldn't recognize the signs
if you paid me. (Not that I actually want to see one, I think. And it is very
unlikely I would see one, they avoid people and usually are night hunters.)

> Sometimes, yes, I can jump around
> and wave and the deer won't move, usually when they are laying down pooped.
> Other times if I move, they move. Depends I think how much the see the
territory
> as "their" territory and not just a passing through territory. But I am not
> sure about that.
>
> I may say under my breath about a spotted fawn, "Aren't you cute," but it
> never occurred to me to talk to them. Hehehehe.
>
> Marnie aka Doe   Okay, I can nix that one before even trying it. ;-)  Good
> luck with your future shots and good luck to me too.

>Deer are weird.  But if they don't just run when they see me,
>they don't seem to mind me talking to them.

Well, I sort of said it backward before. What I have noticed is, if deer
consider it their territory they are much more likely to run. If it is passing
through territory, they are less likely to. They wander the asphalt parking lots,
sidewalks, and lawns here, and are approachable around those people areas.
But if you actually go into the hills where they retreat to late day and at
night, in those areas they will run.

Laying down, they hardly ever run. I suppose it is a lot of trouble to get up
(that is one way deer are slow, getting up), and if you present no threat
they don't bother. Eating is also another time they are unlikely to run, unless
they feel you are challenging them for the food or something. But I've noticed
most animals don't run when eating. Eating is more important than feeling
possibly threatened.

And if you want deer to freeze for a shot, then do stare at them (in the
eye), and do present a full body image (face them directly). This, in fact, seems
to work on a lot of animals. Freezes them for a shot. However, as far as I
know, it is aggressive behavior. (They are probably waiting to see if you will
attack.) But if you want them to behave more naturally and not be staring into
the picture like a bad old-fashioned people pose, then present a sideways body
image (as Lon said -- I actually hadn't consciously realized that, but I do
tend to turn sideways), and don't stare them in the eye.

Also being aggressive is not that great an idea unless one is pretty sure
nothing will result. Since they run around here in people areas a lot, I figure
it's usually pretty safe to take the aggressive stance because they are very
used to people and people staring at them. However, one must be careful
approaching a doe with a fawn or two in tow. And I am always fairly careful with
bucks. Deer attacking people isn't very common, but it has been known to happen (as
far as I know doe defending fawns).

Squirrels can freeze in the same way -- if you stare at them. Though actually
I find squirrels the hardest to "shoot." I haven't really gotten a good
picture of one yet.

Anyone who know more, feel free to jump in.

Marnie aka Doe :-)