Never seen a fox in the wild myself, cool! I did see a pair of wolves about 15 years ago in East Texas, but didn't have a camera on me (too young then...).

I think this goes back a few threads to when someone mentioned to me that photographers were sometimes experts in the fields they photographed. In particular, lightning. The same goes with wildlife, it helps a great deal to know the biology of the animal(s) you seek to photograph.

I'm no biologist myself (computer programmer, actually) but I have wandered the woods and swamps of Texas a bit. I've noticed a big difference between the manner in which my wife and I go through the woods (my wifes from Toronto). She is a good 50 lbs. lighter than I and shorter but has a much stronger presence when going down the trails. I tend to take lighter, quiter steps and take my time going down the trail despite our size difference. When I am alone I sometimes approach deer within distances of less than 30 feet.

The area has much to do with it too. In wild/hunted areas the wildlife will be much harder to approach, less find. Preserves are much more forgiving. Tracking and spotting wildlife is an art in itself aside from photography which requires much study and practice I think. But it is all fun for me too either way, I enjoy the journey, walking through the forests and other scenic areas.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Eactivist said:

I've noticed with foxes, though, that sometimes you can jump up and down
and wave your arms, and they'll just watch you. But if you try to talk to
them, they'll run. I figured talking would reassure them because
predators try to sneak up on their prey, but I was wrong.

Interesting. Very few foxes around here.

There may be more than you realize. I'd lived more than 20 years in my
home town in Minnesota and seen foxes there twice, but I'd assumed they
were just passing through. One winter when I went back on vacation, and I
was a little more interested in that, there was an inch of snow on the
ground, which let me go everywhere and see every track, pounce, and butt
print. And the foxes were everywhere, along railroad tracks, on the
community college grounds, the YMCA grounds, a cemetary, behind a strip
mall, behind a library, basically every place that I thought to
look. They must have literally been coming into my back yard every night,
and I didn't have a clue. But that's the way they are. Where I am now, I
count myself lucky if I see them once in ten trips to the woods, but I
find their signs everywhere-- tracks, scat on the sidewalks, scent marks
on light poles, etc.

Quite possible. I have seen about two foxes traveling through since I've been here. One of the things on my to-do list is get a little more familiar with various animals and find out information like that -- what the signs are, what the scat looks like, etc. There is a wild life museum here, but they seem more into animal rescue. When I visited I found very little actual information on animals. Maybe a good book would be better. Or what Lon suggested, hunting magazines. One thing I figure, where there are deer there are mountain lions (or whatever the local equivalent is called). But I couldn't recognize the signs if you paid me. (Not that I actually want to see one, I think. And it is very unlikely I would see one, they avoid people and usually are night hunters.)

Sometimes, yes, I can jump around
and wave and the deer won't move, usually when they are laying down pooped.
Other times if I move, they move. Depends I think how much the see the

territory

as "their" territory and not just a passing through territory. But I am not
sure about that.

I may say under my breath about a spotted fawn, "Aren't you cute," but it
never occurred to me to talk to them. Hehehehe.

Marnie aka Doe Okay, I can nix that one before even trying it. ;-) Good
luck with your future shots and good luck to me too.

Deer are weird. But if they don't just run when they see me,
they don't seem to mind me talking to them.

Well, I sort of said it backward before. What I have noticed is, if deer consider it their territory they are much more likely to run. If it is passing through territory, they are less likely to. They wander the asphalt parking lots, sidewalks, and lawns here, and are approachable around those people areas. But if you actually go into the hills where they retreat to late day and at night, in those areas they will run.

Laying down, they hardly ever run. I suppose it is a lot of trouble to get up (that is one way deer are slow, getting up), and if you present no threat they don't bother. Eating is also another time they are unlikely to run, unless they feel you are challenging them for the food or something. But I've noticed most animals don't run when eating. Eating is more important than feeling possibly threatened.

And if you want deer to freeze for a shot, then do stare at them (in the eye), and do present a full body image (face them directly). This, in fact, seems to work on a lot of animals. Freezes them for a shot. However, as far as I know, it is aggressive behavior. (They are probably waiting to see if you will attack.) But if you want them to behave more naturally and not be staring into the picture like a bad old-fashioned people pose, then present a sideways body image (as Lon said -- I actually hadn't consciously realized that, but I do tend to turn sideways), and don't stare them in the eye.

Also being aggressive is not that great an idea unless one is pretty sure nothing will result. Since they run around here in people areas a lot, I figure it's usually pretty safe to take the aggressive stance because they are very used to people and people staring at them. However, one must be careful approaching a doe with a fawn or two in tow. And I am always fairly careful with bucks. Deer attacking people isn't very common, but it has been known to happen (as far as I know doe defending fawns).

Squirrels can freeze in the same way -- if you stare at them. Though actually I find squirrels the hardest to "shoot." I haven't really gotten a good picture of one yet.

Anyone who know more, feel free to jump in.

Marnie aka Doe :-)