Tom R. wrote, responding to Eduardo C. Costa:
> Also, threads mutate that is the nature of any kind of list.
> Complaining because it no longer addresses what you asked about
> is kind of dumb.

Eduardo was not complaining that the thread no longer adressed what he was asking
about.
He was grateful for advice he had got and was also amused at the turns that the thread
had taken.
There was nothing dumb in Eduardo's post. In fact it was quite a sensible one.

> Changing the name of the thread is also dumb.  You just start a
> new splinter that many people think is a separate thread, and
> therefor generates extra posts because they think they have to
> make their point in each of the threads.

What's this? Changing the name of a thread means the same as introducing a new one.
There is most certainly nothing dumb in doing so. This is what anyone is supposed to
do if you start talking about someting else, and/or the contents no longer reflects
what the subject line indicates. This is to make it possible for readers to know what
is being adresssed and not having to miss an interesting subject (or more easily being
able to delete it) because the subject line indicates something different from what is
being dealt with. This is of course also very important for the usability of the
archives. If the subject line is misleading it's very difficult to find what you're
looking for, and we could just skip the subject lines altogether.
If it springs from an earlier one, you do like Eduardo does, you put a (Was:...) in
order for people to be able to realize where you're coming from.
What Eduardo wanted to do, was to talk about what he thought really matters in
photography, namely that we have fun in doing it etc.
High-lighting this in the subject line, just like he did, was exemplary.

> Moderated lists are ones in which the group or the originator
> has determined that off topic and mutated thread will not be
> allowed and steps are taken to prevent it.  The are censored but
> you know that when you go in.  This is not a moderated list.

So why are you acting a moderator then? And in this case clearly without a cause.

> And, I think the list maintainer, Doug Brewer, would not be
> interested in the extra work involved to make it so.  Doug, by
> the way, is the guy who stepped forward and volunteered to
> maintain the list when Pentax decided to drop it, so you can
> thank him for there even being a list anymore.
>
> I have always wondered why some people think their objection to
> what others are talking about is more "right" than what the
> others are talking about.  No one is forcing them to read the
> thread.  If you are not interested don't read it.

Then, why are you objecting to what Eduardo is talking about?
Why are you saying that his ways are dumb?
Why are you complaing at all?
You tell others not to read threads that don't interest them, because no one is
forcing them to do it.
If Eduardo's thread doesn't interest you, why then do you read it at all, let alone
complaining about it?

> Don't tell the
> people that are into an earnest dialog that they should shut up.

Who told whom to shut up? You are closer to doing so than Eduardo was, as he was
humbly asking would we drop a thread that he thought presented the same arguments over
and over. He was not alone in this impression.

> I don''t like self appointed censors myself.

Does this mean it's painful for you to look into the mirror, or to read your own
messages?
Don't do it then.

>  But, I have noticed that they have no objection to running long threads
> about how wrong those other people are.

So, how long a thread will you be running about how wrong Eduardo is?

> When I had a newserver
> up and running I checked this out.  I found ten times as many
> posts complaining about people wasting bandwidth with off topic
> posts, than I found off topic posts.

Your complaining post s is yet another, with the exception that you are complaining
about a perfectly on-topic post.

> Of course all of this is just my opinion, but not my humble
> opinion <grin>,

I agree that your opinion is less humble than Eduardo's humble opinion was.

Lasse