Joseph Tainter wrote:

> I agree with this. I am annoyed, though, by those who
write or say that
> you are not a serious or conscientous photographer if you
use zooms. (I
> don't claim that this was said on PDML, but we were
pointed recently to
> an article that did say something like that.)
>
> I once waited 6-1/2 hours for the right light to
photograph a scene.
> Then I photographed it with the FA 20-35 f4 and got a fine
image. Am I
> less than a serious photographer?

Good point, Joseph.

I think a serious photographer should be defined as someone
who takes photography seriously *as a whole*.  People who
obsess about equipment are often not serious photographers.
The serious photographer who *does* obsess about equipment
is probably not someone who rejects all zooms, but
appreciates the virtues of some and the weaknesses of
others - as he/she does with zooms.   Needless to say, I
would put myself into that category!

I have used both primes and zooms for the last 17 years -
before that I used only primes because the affordable zooms
of that time were so very bad.  Since then, I have used some
superb primes, and some superb zooms, and I recognise the
virtues and weaknesses of both.  In theory, primes are
nearly always optically superior, but the best zooms are so
very close that it hardly matters any more.

But to suggest this on any photo forum is to invite derision
from the "prime loyalists" and support from that proportion
of zoom fans who couldn't recognise a bad lens if they saw a
poster-sized print from it.  This only confirms the worst
prejudices of the prime loyalists and war breaks out.

Better not to mention it really.   I'm glad I didn't!  ;-)

Seriously though, in my case, some of my best ever lenses
have been primes, but others have been zooms.  I'm glad to
say that one of the best zooms I have ever used is my first
choice lens at this time and it is on my first choice camera
body.  That's the Pentax A 35-105mm on the Super A (Super
Program in the USA).

I also *love* my K 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.7 and my
Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro, but the results from the 35-105mm
are so good that I need only carry the zoom except in poor
light.  Let no-one tell me that the A 35-105mm is a poor
lens because it's a zoom.  It is a fine lens, and one I am
delighted to be able to use.

But don't tell anyone I said that!

John

;-))