What is within the realm of possibility for what camera it might have been will depend
on the age of the sub and the procurement rules for your Navy. It would not have been
an MX on a US Navy sub. I suspect most camera bodies from the era that these would be
from will look small mounted on a periscope. FWIW, Olympus was very big in microscopes
and 35mm bodies for use on microscopes. Olympus is probably the most likely candidate.

BR