Ugh. I just can't make up my mind. A couple more considerations:

1) Sync speed - the MX is only 1/60; the ME Super is 1/125 but the shoe on my ME Super is a little cockeyed and I'm not sure it works. Is the 1/60 on the MX going to be limiting?

2) Should I consider the Sunpak 383 - it's basically the same as the Vivitar 283, but adds a swivel head (which I'm pretty sure even the 285 doesn't have) and only has 3 auto apertures (vs. 4 on the 285)? Does anyone have any experience with this flash?

3) I've got a little extra money kicking around - maybe I should spring for a Super Program and an AF280T? Would this really be the easiest solution?

Thanks for all the help so far, I'll get this figured out yet.

-Matt