Flash compensation could be called flash adjustment. It's just setting
the power at a level other than the automatically selected one.

If you're using TTL flash, and you're taking a picture of something
that's black, the TTL flash meter will get fooled just like an ambient
meter would, and will over expose (it thinks the black thing is 18%
gray, and throws out more light than needed.)

> I also cannot find anything in the
> manual of my MZ-5n.
> Is it the same as fill-flash with the flash at lower output
> so it won't completely
> fill in the shadows?

Fill flash is a sub-category of flash compensation.

Say you're outside at noon, sun is directly overhead. There's plenty
of light, no pressing need for flash, but having the sun overhead will
cause a person's eye sockets to darken with shadows. You can use some
flash to fill in those shadows.

Fill flash is generally used at less than full power, since there's
enough ambient light to make a correct exposure.

> The explanation (trick) about using manual mode and the
> exposure compensation
> dial for flash compensation, for what flash/body
> combinations is that.

Works for any TTL flash and camera combo with an exposure comp dial
and a manual mode.

> I just bought a AF360FGZ from ADORAMA (great shop BTW) and
> it has flash comp.
> on the flash so I guess I don't need to use the trick?

I don't think the comp on this flash will work with the 5n.

tv