"Boris Liberman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>It doesn't. TTL flash controls flash exposure by varying the
>>*duration* of the flash, not the power. So... During TTL flash exposure with
>>-1.5 stop compensation, the system will shut off the flash (this happens
>>in milliseconds) when the amount of exposure has reached 1.5 stops less
>>than the meter deems necessary. The *shutter*, however, will remain
>>open for the necessary amount of time for proper, uncompensated, exposure.
>>
>>So what you have is a combination of ambient exposure at standard and
>>flash exposure at -1.5 stops.
>
>Mark, this is probably the bit of knowledge that I did not have.

Heck, *I* didn't have it until relatively recently! I was using flash
compensation fairly successfully without really understanding how it
worked.

>My
>(wrong) understand was that by issuing exposure compensation at, say
>-1.5 stops, I actually let 2^1.5 less light strike the film.

That's true if you set EXPOSURE compensation at -1.5 stops. But that's
not the same as setting FLASH compensation at -1.5 stops.

>So in a sense I thought that even when using the flash one still
>thinks in terms of integrated exposure, so to say.

To do that you'd need to set *both* exposure compensation *and* flash
compensation.

>Well, I think I am proven wrong by your explanation and by my lack of
>successful photos while using the flash - both built-in in ZX-L and
>with AF220T that I had on loan...
>
>Wisdom of PDML is indeed infinite <grin>.

I'm still learning from it every day ;-)

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing