I think the new reported FA 18mm will be a great thing regarding the
Pentax system.

1. It is not as radical as the 15mm wides of the other companies,
but still a dramatic wide angle. It will of course be much smaller
and affordable than the 15mm's.

2. Af is not that much useless with a 18mm than it is with a 15mm.
The very wide coverage of the new SAFOX VII makes especially sense in
this lens range too.

3. With the full format digital SLR, it will cover a wide angle range
unmatched in the digital business. With the usual 1.3x elongation
factor of common format digitals, the other companies will start at
max. 20mm effective plus the heavy weight of a 15mm to carry.

4. This is one of the few focal lengths not covered in the Pentax FA
range meanwhile. While this is no special advantage of course, it is
nice that they still introduce new focal lengths instead of just
modifying existing lenses. So there are chances that there will be a
FA* 3.5/400mm some day, a lens I think is needed for a professional
perception of Pentax.

Ralf