Ralf wrote:

> 1. It is not as radical as the 15mm wides of the other companies,
> but still a dramatic wide angle. It will of course be much smaller
> and affordable than the 15mm's.

But still significantly (2X?) more expensive than the FA 20/2.8. Just look at the
price difference between the Nikkor 18 and 20mm lenses. This makes me somehow doubt
that this new Pentax is a plain FA lens. Likewise, I cannot see the real benefit of a
clutch mechanism of the FA*. I'm starting to wonder whether it can be a Limited lens.
Another thing that makes me smell Limited here is that the 18mm is a classic K mount
focal lenght. I own the K 18/3.5 so that nothing but a Limited would tempt me to buy a
new 18mm. Anyway, 18mm is great focal lenght and its really nice that Pentax offers it
again.

> 4. This is one of the few focal lengths not covered in the Pentax FA
> range meanwhile. While this is no special advantage of course, it is
> nice that they still introduce new focal lengths instead of just
> modifying existing lenses. So there are chances that there will be a
> FA* 3.5/400mm some day, a lens I think is needed for a professional
> perception of Pentax.

Yes. Pentax is sending out very encouraging signals lately. Both the forthcoming 18mm
and the recently introduced 200/4 ED Macro, both very specialized low-volume items,
really show that Pentax have commitment to the K-mount system. I feel confident we
will see more cameras for the enthusiast apart from the MZ-S in the future.
400/3.5 hardly ever existed. Nikon discontinued theirs. They seem to be surpassed by
400/2.8 and 500/4. 400/3.5 is indeed a great idea. Personally I would rather see a
400/4.5 though, like Minolta has; it'll be more affordable and also hand holdable.
What I want more than anything else though, is an AF 1,4X-L converter.

Pål