Just uploaded 6 shots taken with the *ist-D this past weekend at
Grandfather Mountain. They're medium resolution JPEGs of moderate
physical size (horizontally-oriented shots are only 1000 pixels wide).
No, I'm not going to upload the full 2000 x 3000 pixel images to my web
site or email them out. I have time/bandwidth limitations!

Some notes:
Between the very hazy atmospheric conditions and my unfamiliarity with
the camera, I got the white balance screwed up. I corrected the shots
somewhat with FilterSim and Photoshop. I have done levels adjustment and
a little sharpening (which will have emphasized the noise somewhat).

The camera was pre-production so final version firmware should be much
better. I suspect the Powers That Be at Pentax let the rep borrow the
camera they could most afford to spare - in other words, the earliest,
buggiest one! Still, I was pretty much blown away by how it well it
performed and the image quality. Ergonomics are superb for the most
part. It's really small by film camera standards; tiny by DSLR
standards. Powers up and comes on line really quickly! I didn't know how
much the batteries had been used and, having no extras myself, decided
to be very conservative with power, just to be safe. I turned the camera
off between shots and turned it on when I wanted to shoot. Came on
almost as quickly as a film camera.

Viewfinder is great. Similar to MZ-S. Tom Van Veen said he liked the
viewfinder a little better than his Canon 10D, which is itself better
than the Nikon D100. AF is brilliant. Fast and accurate. Easy to choose
AF points. I didn't try out the FAJ 18-35 lens - I just used my own
Sigma 300/2.8, K15/3.5 and F100/2.8 macro, along with a borrowed 31mm
Limited. The camera only meters wide open on the K lens and doesn't stop
down the diaphragm when shooting. I loosened up the lens on the lens
mount (not letting it click into place when mounting). This let it
function as a stop-down diaphragm lens. I'm going to drill an additional
lock-divot in the lens mount of my 15mm to allow this easily when I get
my own *ist-D.

I believe everyone who used the camera was very, very impressed with it.
Can't think of any complaints other than the metering with K lenses.
Pentax will probably find that sales are limited only by the rate at
which Sony can supply them with CCDs. This camera rocks.

http://www.robertstech.com/temp/IMGP0068.jpg
File size: 269k
Sigma EX300/2.8 APO
ISO 400