Mark,

The images are great.  I talked to Don, and he, in his gentle and persuasive
manner, he made me feel really bad for not having been on the Mountain.  I
have been reading what I can find about the *istD and believe that Pentax
has an excellent product that they intend to aggressively compete with.
After talking with Don, I believe that we are going to be truly amazed at
just how aggressive Pentax is prepared to be in the digital market.

I am glad that they choose the 2/3rds sensor. The 6 mega pixel cameras have
proven themselves capable of producing finished images that can compete with
film based 35mm images.  Pentax, by taking their time in entering the
Digital SLR market has delivered a much more compact and better designed
camera.  It is my personal opinion that because of the instant feedback
digital cameras offer, the digital photographer has an opportunity to
consistently capture images of higher quality.  The 2/3rds sensor allows and
encourages photographers to lighten their camera bags, 300mm lenses act like
450mm, 400mm lenses act like very expensive and very heavy 600mm lenses.
Other gadgets, like tripods, ball heads, filters, and camera bags can get
smaller and lighter with no loss of quality or function.

The start up knowledge curve for digital cameras is deceptive.  Many of the
choices for camera settings are not intuitive even for an accomplished
photographer.  You make the point when you talk about white balance.
Digital cameras have a habit of correcting that which does not need
correcting.  White in the golden light of morning does not need to be
balanced to pure white.  When the ability to handle "RAW" files arrives with
production cameras you will be able to adjust white balance, saturation,
contrast and other such items in post processing.  This implies that the
user invests the time to learn how to use one of the image processing
software programs, such as Photoshop.