Consider similar products like 10D & D100 have been around for some time, 1 year seem generous indeed. However, Pentax have the tendency to slowly update their products and Pentax users are used to hold on to their cameras longer. *ist D users might be satisfied a little longer than Canon or Nikon users.

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

I guess the basis is the whole line-up. Basically, they have promised a novice DSLR, the *istD and a pro DSLR. The 20% is supposedly achieved by 2005 which means that these products should be here within a year. I also expect the *istD to have a life-span of 1 year at the most (I'm probably being generous).