> I am very glad she made Triumph of the Will, it was only by viewing it in a
> college film class (many long years ago) that I came close to understanding the
> charisma that that funny little man Hitler had. Also, even though it was in
> German, she managed to convey the national joint insanity that German -- the
> fervor of nationalism led astray -- went through. Without seeing it, I am not
> sure I would ever have "gotten" it.

Well said, Marnie - I think that expresses my own viewpoint far better than I
could have done.  There *is* an attraction in such spectacles, and the only
way those of us not present can understand that on an emotional (as opposed
to rational) level is from second-hand experience.

Ask yourself this - would the film be any less stirring were it made by an
openly avowed Nazi?  By someone who fought the Nazis?  By a neutral outsider?
That film is an incredible work, and I am glad that it was made.

As to the use to which the film was put;  that's the recurring problem of
the photojournalist.  Each photographer must make his own choices about that.
But once you accept a commission, you should carry it out to the best of
your ability.

One last analogy:  At the end of "Dr. Strangelove", Kubrick has included
an incredibly beautiful sequence of one of the most horrendous creations
of man - nuclear explosions.  Yet it would be hard to reason from this
that Kubrick was pro-bomb.