Rob Studdert wrote:

> On 18 Sep 2003 at 5:25, Keith Whaley wrote:
>
> > A space is not a definable as a 'thing.'
>
> It's not a space it's a white line and a black line

Okay, I read you.
But, stay with me now, if all you have is a piece of white paper, on
which reside some straight black lines, and if you slide two of the
lines together so they have a line width's of distance between them,
what's in between could be a white line or it could be merely a space.
Especially if they're on a white piece of paper.

I'm with you, Rod. But, if you're going to define one of a pair of lines
as white, and the other black, you must also decree that these line
pairs NOT be displayed on a white or black surface... it has to be some
other contrasting shade of color.

Situation two: you have a boundary that is one millimeter in width.
Within that boundary you place equal width black/white line pairs until
they fit from side to side.
The only parameter you can change is the individual width of each line,
in order to fit more lines in the one millimeter boundary.
Example: if each line is 1/4 millimeter thick/wide, you can have two
line pairs in that one millimeter space.

In this case, there is no space separating the lines, it's only the
contrast between their shades that provides the boundary definition.

So, the question arises, if the one millimeter space is constant, and
all that changes is the line widths, when does a pair cease to be
distinguishable as a black and white pair? When it turns gray, and you
can't distinguish a boundary between black and white?

Just curious...  keith