Frank, I don't know about mothers with newborns, but the makers of Zest did a study to prove their bath bar killed more germs than plain old soap. This was back in the early 60's. However, they never mentioned in there ads that the control group who did not wash at all for two weeks had an even lower skin bacteria count. Seems washing removes the natural and very effective antibacteria agents in our skin oils.

frank theriault wrote:

About 15 or 20 years ago, I saw a news story that said that mother's with newborns
are more susceptible to certain illnesses, because they wash their hands more
often.  Contra-intuitive though it may be, it was said to be true.  Of course, I
never heard such a silly thing since then, but it made sense.

They theorized that washing the hands too much removes all the hands' natural oils,
which may have some sort of a protective effect (whether that would be profilactic
or germicidal, I don't know).

It's likely a pile of bunk, but as one who's always been lazy about washing hands, I
took it to heart, as it fit in quite nicely with my world view.  Now, I of course,
wash my hands from time to time (you know, like after I've been in ~there~ and
before meals, but that's generally it).

I never get sick.  Probably has nothing to do with the hats, the hands, or anything
else I do.  I'm just one of those guys who don't get sick.

cheers,
frank

Mark Roberts wrote:

I got in the habit of being careful about washing my hands and avoiding
rubbing my eyes, etc. when I thought about how easy it is to catch a
cold when working out at the gym. Think about how germs can spread in
*that* environment! (And I go there for my health, right?<g>)

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

--