The viruses that cause colds like it colder than we do.  That's why they
flourish in the winter.  Wearing a hat makes it easier to keep you
sinuses warm since your head gets warmer and the blood is carrying more
heat away from the brain.  Frequent hand washing is the best defense,
but it's true that the whole anti-bacterial soap thing is overrated
since viruses are usually the culprit.  (It does help prevent secondary
bacterial infections like the kind that cause sinus infections.)
Viruses do succumb, however, to the power of soap and wash to wash them
down the drain.  ;-)  This also assumes that you don't have any habits
like nail biting that facilities the introduction of viruses to the
mouth/throat, etc.

At least these are the latest theories that I have read (sniffle).