Hi Paul,

Fact is, Apple's software stability is the result of what used to be
Apple's insistence that software coders follow Apple's coding methods (I
don't know what else to call them) and to do it "by the numbers."
In other words, do it exactly according to Apple's "cookbook" -- their
rules and such -- which is the way Apple themselves wrote software code
for applications and utilities.

If the third-party developers did it as Apple did it, they were
guaranteed to come up with a successful piece of software.
Many, perhaps most, followed Apples lead, and wrote their code just as
Apple said to do it.
All software worked well, gave few if any surprises, and the layout and
features seemed quite "familiar" right out of the box, to any Apple/Mac user.

There were mavericks who balked, and said, "Who is Apple to tell ME how
to write code? I've been successfully writing software for years and years."
It was usually their software that exhibited bugs, crashed at odd times,
and was generally unreliable and a bugger to use. Developers like that
didn't last long, or decided to write for DOS or some other O/S.  Apple
was too strict.

Seems that's pretty much over. The Apple Macintosh HFS/HFS+ operating
system is a dead end street. Obsolete. Now, some form of UNIX is all.
One more step toward a rather universal operating system that will work
on myriad machines, no matter who developed it.

So I see it.

keith whaley