Well, you ought to teach your kids these things. I wasn't and could not understand why I was was being punished for calling one of my classmates a horror*, which she was. We were about 10, and I didn't even know the other word that sounds the nearly the same. I simply had never heard the other word. Nobody believes in innocence (grin).

* horror (noun) 4. Informal. Something unpleasant, ugly, or disagreeable.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO Corporation; further reproduction and distribution restricted in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.

Peter Alling wrote:

Please Ann, this is a family list. (Not that I didn't consider it).