> Am I remembering right that JPEG format files re-compress each time they are
> saved?  In other words, saving the image on your CF card as a JPEG and then
> transferring to the PC would be two steps of loss?

No.  Copying a JPEG file is just like copying any other file - lossless.

You could go out of your way, of course, to introduce an extra lossy step
by directly uploading the image into an image processing program by using
the camera as a TWAIN source, and then saving the image as a JPEG.  But
that's not how any sane person would do it.

In fact you shouldn't use JPEG for any intermediate steps, just so you
avoid this double-lossy compression problem.  All editing, cropping,
colour balancing, etc., etc. should be done on TIFFs or PNGs.  Read
the initial JPEG from the camera, but never re-save as JPEG (except,
possibly, for the final step before posting or emailing the image).