> As I've said before, I think Pentax has plans for electrical contacts
> (for USM, electronic aperture control, etc.) in places where the
> "aperture simulator" is located on the original K mount . . .

I'd be very surprised if they used that part of the lens mount for new
purposes; it would probably make mounting *all* existing lenses impossible.

I think the mechanical aperture sensor was dropped for purely pragmatic
reasons; it wasn't necessary - there was already an alternative control
on the body which was just as good as the aperture ring (and, in fact,
superior in the case of variable-aperture zoom lenses).  This meant that
all exposure settings were directly made on the body using electronic
controls, rather than physical settings.  I wouldn't be totally amazed
to see a bidirectional remote control that replicated the info display
& thumbwheels, and talked to the camera using a bluetooth-enabled grip.

One thing that argues aginst this scenario, though, is that they've
dropped the power zoom contacts from the mount.  While I personally
won't miss them I'd have thought it might have been something you'd
want in an electronic remote.  There again, though, that would really
need a remote viewfinder to see the framing - not really feasible,
even at the pixel count of the LCD display.