Continuously variable shutter speed was the first big advancement. With the A lenses, continously variable aperture adjustment became possible. You can compensate for problems with non-constant aperture zooms this way, as well as get the perfect aperture for a given shutter speed. With both ends open, as in "green" mode, the program line can pick a combination that is not possible to select by hand. I find this desirable, don't you? Why limit yourself to fixed f-stop buckets when you have a continuum between wide-open and min aperture?? Not wanting it is like a grade schooler saying "I like Whole numbers, I'm scared of Real numbers".

I initially felt betrayed by the lack of full support for KM lenses on the new digital body, but I've gotten good use out of them, and they could still be used on that body with a little extra work. Adding the support for the older lenses is more expensive than people realize, with the extra development, manufacturing, and testing required, this incremental change propagates throughout the organization and affects the bottom line. If they do add this to a future body, it will probably be more expensive and/or they will have amortized their R&D costs so that they can balance the benefits/costs better and come out ahead.

:)