Hi Patrick,

I don't have a good answer to your problem, but I can
certainly sympathize, as my black KX is doing exactly
the same thing. In my case, I suspect a bad contact in
the main switch around the shutter release.

When I first bought the camera, the meter reading was
consistantly giving a reading for 1 and 2/3 stops
over-exposure. (at ISO 100... the discrepency was not
linear and was different at different ISO #'s). I
simply adjusted the ISO dial accordingly and continued
to use the camera (with slide film) with excellent
results for about two years. Then, on a camping trip
this spring, the readings became erratic. Each time I
turned the main switch "on" then "off" and back "on"
again, it gave a different reading.

Knowing full well that KX's are infamous for light
meter failures, I opted to replace it with a ZX5n.
There is a good camera repairman in my town, and I
will probably have him take a look at my KX when funds
allow. For now my KX is still with me, but loaded with
infra-red film and occasionally used for long exposure
twilight photography and star trails.

Incidentally, if you happen to learn anything else
about this strange ailment I would like to know what
you find out. If it lasted +/- 25 years the first
time, I think the cost of a CLA and meter repair would
be well worth the price. Otherwise you could re-foam
it yourself (I think you can buy the self-adhesive
foam at Peterson's photographic) and cut it to fit
with an exacto knife. The meter switch may or may not
be the problem, but in both of our cameras, activation
and deactivation of the power supply with this switch
~does~ seem to affect the reading.

HTH
-Jonathan-

P.S., I have used a number of different "equivalent"
battery types with this camera with fine results, but
I prefer silver oxide as they seem to last quite a
long time.

>>Patrick wrote:

Hello!

I recently bought a black KX. At first glance the body
is in perfect
optical condition - no brassing around the brackets
etc. Unfortunately
the foam sealing of the film compartment and the
mirror shock absorbers
are porous, but that's ok for an about 25 year old
camera.  But enough
about the optical condition.

The light meter has a problem and I am wondering if
it's the contacts
that need some cleaning or if it is a mechanical
problem.

First of all: I am using 2 Energizer LR44/A76 but in
the manual it says
to use SE76E or MS76H. Are the battery types mentioned
in the manual
outdated?

Now the light meter problem: When I press the shutter
release button
halfway it gives a decent suggestion, but when I
release the shutter it
falls down a bit. E.g. if it indicated 1/60 before
release, the needle
would point at 1/8 after release. After another
release it drops
another
bit and so on. When I the light meter off and on again
it works again -
always for one exposure.
I think it could be the vibration caused by the mirror
during exposure
(the shock absorbing foam has more or less completely
dissolved).

Does anybody know the problem? If I need to apply
contact spray, what
parts would need it? What can I do about the foam. I
don't really want
to leave the camera at the photo store, as that is
quite expensive and
in my opinion the problem can't be that complicated to
fix. I could be
wrong, but I hope not.

Thanks in advance, Patrick