Well, whaddya know?  That's the real company name, not a nickname.

It was originally derived from "Rotary+Lotus"; the original cars were
mostly rotary-engined.  They ended up with three variants using Mazda
engines (including one with twin turbos!), and some pretty frightening
conventional engines (the GM 5.6L V8 or the Buick lightweight 3.8L V8),
as well as somewhat tamer (and more sensible) options.
Both those big V8s are popular with the after-market car tuners; with
no trouble at all you can have well over 300HP under your right foot.
Even with improved suspension and much wider and stickier rubber than
the original, that's one heck of a lot of power in a car that light.
And that's by no means the limit.  I'm pretty certain that the Buick
engine is the one used in the Grand National, which means that it can
be turbocharged in addition to all the other little tweaks.  I don't
even want to think about what sort of power you could end up with if
you really tried.  Certainly well over 500HP.