On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, tom wrote:

> [...]

Most of the pros I know either carry a gray card or the "expo disk"
which is a sort of butch filter that emulates a gray card somehow.

> > Just like how many digital slr users carry a
> > light meter around
> > with them all the time so they can get more accurate
> > metering that their
> > dslr doesn't seemingly give them.
>
> Right. The histogram is so innacurate.
>
> > Lots of extra stuff to carry.

Many pros still carry a handheld meter.  Honestly between a professional's
eye-meter and a knowledgeable reading of picture displayed on the
screen you don't even need the built-in meter at all.  I can eyeball
light to within a stop or so.

Digital FLASH metering is a different story...

DJE