Even the higher end printers like the 2200 are ink
monsters, as far as the extra $200 for the epson, that
gives you better icc support, pigment inks, better B&W
printing ( tho the new hp is damn good here ) more
paper choices, roll paper and auto cutting, thats
where the extra cash goes, if you don't need this then
the canon won't do so badly. I have seen prints from
the i9100 and don't see a difference between it and
the 2200 BUT lightfastness tests show the epson to
last the longest on most papers, no canon paper/ink
lasted more than 10 years under  Livicks rather harsh
tests. The new HP lasts long due to it's papers, the
hp paper absorbs the ink into it self but there are
only 3 paper choices, epson relies on the ink itself
to last ( looking at the tests it's the ink, not the
paper that lasts long, epsons enhanced matte yellows
quickly, now we know why they renamed it to enhanced
matte from archival matte ).  The new HP printers look
good but epson has all the support from 3rd parties
for photo use.