Hi,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> 2. Better software for chromatic aberrations This is where I am really
> >> ignorant. But it seems to me that good interpolation (?) software might
> distribute
> >> the results of chromatic aberration better, so that digital apes film
> more. I
> >> mean, people are not going to be happy when they discover that one half of
> >> their lenses do not work that well with a DSLR. I wouldn't be happy
> shopping
> > >around for older lenses, having to find out which one had bad effects on a
> DSLR.
>
> >An area that certainly needs improvement.  I would be _very_ unhappy to
> >have bought a camera that showed the problem that has been highlighted
> >on this list in the last few days.
>
> So would I be.
>
> However, I don't think anyone who has already bought a *istD, or a 300D or a
> 60 or 30D is stupid. I think they just have more photographic discretionary
> spending money than I do. I want to make that non-stupid part clear.

Me neither.  What I think they have done is buy something that they have
no way of knowing will fulfill the functions they require.  Rather like
I had to enter into a contract with my ISP _before_ they would answer
any technical questions.  No choice.  Doesn't make me any happier with
the outcome of my situation and I think there will be listers who are
unhappy with the outcome of theirs.

> >> 3. Greater latitude. Again ignorant. But I've been thinking maybe software
> > >could ape film types more as well. I am used to shooting slides now, so
> the lack
> > >of latitude may not bother me -- much. But for those who formerly shot
> > >negative film, it may be a bit of a shock. Maybe this could not be done by
> software,
> >> maybe it has to be firmware, but I think it might be doable. Very doable.
> >> Settings to change latitude.
>
> >As above.  Both of these areas show what I call a "consumer development"
> >approach to product design.  You make something that doesn't work quite
> >as well as its predecessor and sell it.  If the consumer complains, then
> >it's an area to work on.  If they don't.....  Anyone remember stainless
> >steel disc brakes?  People probably died from that little fiasco, yet it
> >took years before manufacturers reverted to cast iron.
>
> I don't think it's deliberate. I think it's what happens with an emerging
> technology. They release something and find out later where the real problems
> are. There is only so much development time they can give something. Things also
> evolve and get better. But I certainly wouldn't call it planned in any sense,
> say of deliberately releasing less than they can do at that point in time.
>
> I think it *is* what they can do at that point in time.

I think it _is_ deliberate.  It is also, to some extent,
understandable.  Otherwise you get to the stage where you never release
a product because you know you can just go one step further towards
improving it.  Rather like an ex-lister and his book 8-)  With something
like software, which is probably more complex than all the rest of the
item put together, it is more understandable that less-than-perfection
is released as the manufacturer knows that it is relatively easy to
correct.  However this may also lead to an attitude of relative
complacency.

> >> 5. Full frame sensor? Nope, don't think that is important to me.
>
> >Why?  It would lessen some of the problems you have highlighted above.
> >It would also significantly reduce someone's profits.....
>
> Well, if full frame would solve problems, then that would be good.
>
> I don't particularly *want* it, because I like shooting wildlife and I like
> the way long glass is "magnified."

It is a relatively small attraction of present DSLRs for me, too.

> Except, I think, possibly, that I am more optimistic than you.
>
> I see these things as solvable. And I think they will be solved. So I am very
> serious about this question... (addressed to others now)

Was it something I said? 8-)  I am optimistic that the present
"difficulties" will be dealt with.  I am not sure they will be dealt
with in a manner beneficial (both financially and photographically) to
me.

mike