> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, John Francis wrote:
>
> > As I pointed out, CCD TV cameras work just fine, so it's obviously
> > possible to have a live-preview CCD SLR which adds less than 1/60 of
> > a second to the shutter lag - something you'd be hard put to detect.
>
> On the other hand, CCD TV cameras are just 0.3 Mpix so it may be that a
> larger sensor takes longer to read data from.

HDTV cameras are up to 2Mpix, full-frame at 30 or 60Hz.

For a more down-to-earth example the Canon PowerShot cameras (from the
3.3Mp G1 to the 5Mp G5) have effectively no shutter lag if pre-focussed,
and have a live LCD display at all times.  If a 5Mp point-and-shoot can
do it, I have a hard time believing it would be impossible on a DSLR.