On 28 Oct 2003 at 17:23, Alin Flaider wrote:

>   I went to the theater to see the technicalities behind Star War
>   episodes presented as reference in the above link. I did notice
>   almost involuntarily the pixelization and general lack of details.
>   There's no real comparison to the film, HDTV is orders of magnitude
>   below. All I read between the lines is convenience and costs cut. To
>   deliver crap as an inexpensive alternative is one thing, but to
>   extoll its virtues and push it like the only option is plain profit
>   pursuit played on the audience ignorance.
>   I'm truly horrified.

I attended a film industry Q&A conference discussing the impact of digital
production a couple of years ago, one of George's technical cronies was on the
panel and taking questions. The decision to go with digital was based by
comparing the final output of both media. Digital projection with it's obvious
no-loss data path and film including its inter-generational losses due to
copying. So in essence the current digital cameras can't compete in terms of
absolute quality relative to first of second generation film but at the screen
it's pretty even. As an aside production costs were cut dramatically even after
factoring in the purchase of the cameras and editing equipment.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998