Like he said.

Stan

Bob Walkden wrote:

Hi,

Wednesday, October 29, 2003, 10:01:35 AM, you wrote:

Going OT here, but always wanted to be sure what the plural of ibis was.
I've heard ibises, ibes, ibii, ibex or just plain ibis etc.. As such I've
resorted to an-apple-two-apples, an-ibis-two-birds..

the New Oxford dictionary gives you a choice of one: ibises.

Ibex is a different animal altogether - a goat, not a bird. The
English plural is 'ibexes'.

You can often treat words denoting animals as mass nouns, particular
when you're eating the animals in question. For instance, you could
serve ibex or ibis to 100 or so of your closest friends. If the
proportions were not miserly this would constitute more than one ibex
or ibis.

The other possibilities you list - ibes, ibii - are just confusion. My
guess is that in normal speech most people would say 'ibises'.
However, if they're writing, or being particularly aware of what they
say, they may make an effort to be 'correct' or to sound educated.
This leads people to make gross mistakes such as 'ibii', 'stati',
'statii' (or recently 'virii'). Relatively few people know Latin, but
are familiar with words like radius/radii, focus/foci from school
mathematics, they use analogy to try and form the plural of similar words,
but often succeed only in failing. This is a hangover from 16th century England
when the use of Latin loan-words was taken to be a sign of social superiority,
and there was a lot of ostentatious use of such words, called 'inkhorn terms'
because of the association of education and inkhorns (ink wells).

In Latin nouns are classified into 5 declensions, and some of the
declensions are further sub-divided into groups. These declensions and
groups reflect the different forms the words take according to their function
in a clause. In particular, the plural forms are different in these declensions.
Typically you can recognise the declension of a noun from the way the
nominative singular ends. So normally a word ending in -a is 1st declension
(plural -ae), -us is 2nd declension (plural -i). The most common 3rd declension
ending is -is, plural -es, but the 3rd declension has several sub-categories.

Confusingly for generations of schoolboys, the nominative singular in
the 4th decelension is -us, like the 2nd declension, but the
nominative plural is also -us, but with a long 'u'.

Virus, focus and radius are 2nd declension, so the Latin nominative
plurals are viri (NOT 'virii'), foci (NOT 'focii') and radii (yes!) respectively.

But status is 4th declension, so the Latin nominative plural is also
status - NOT 'stati' or 'statii'.

Ibis is 3rd declension, group I, feminine. The nominative plural is
ibes.

Ibex and index are (I think) 3rd declension group II, so the nominative
plurals are respectively ibices and indices.

These are all common loan words in English. But remember, we're
speaking English, not Latin. We don't have to conform to Latin
grammar, and indeed in most cases (pun intended) we don't. Latin nouns
have case endings. So if we wanted to talk about something belonging
to several ibises, say their wings, we would say 'alae ibium', 'ibium'
being the genitive plural. We never find that the people who insist on
the 'correct plural' also insist on this equally 'correct' plural. That's
because we speak English, not Latin.

English is very simple in its construction of plurals - add 's' or
'es' to the end of the word, with a small number of exceptions.

English has a long tradition of loan words from other languages, yet
it seems to be only in the Latin and Greek ones - the prestige languages
of centuries past - that some people expect us to conform to their
grammar. I hope the absurdity of this is obvious. Why don't these
people also insist on all the correct case endings, why is it just the
nominative and the plural? Why not the ablative singular, or the
vocative? Why don't they insist on agreement between adjesctives and nouns?
Why don't they insist on the correct forms for other languages we've plundered,
such as Norse, Australian, Algonquin, Basque, Spanish, Inuit and so on?

So, bearing in mind that we speak English, let's use the English
plural forms for these inkhorn terms:

virus - viruses
status - statuses
focus - focuses
ibis - ibises
ibex - ibexes
virus - viruses
index - indexes (I might forgive indices in technical documents)
radius - radiuses (I might forgive radii in mathematics)
Twix - Twixes

People who say things like 'virii', 'statii' etc. are trying to
second-guess Latin grammar without knowing what they're doing. It doesn't
make them look educated. Far from it. Better to stick with the known
quantity of English plurals.