Hi,

my first slr was a Zenit (B or E, I think), back in about 1977 or
1978. I used it for a couple of years and it was perfectly ok as a 1st
slr. I still have some of the better photos I took with it. It came
with a Helios standard lens, about f/2 iirc, which was very soft and
low contrast. Not a good lens at all. I replaced it with my first MX
after about 2 years. While I had the Zenit it seemed like a decent
enough camera, but once I'd handled the MX and the SMC-M 50/1.7 that
came with it, there was no going back. I still have the Mx. So I guess
that means that the build quality of the Zenit, the size and general
clunkiness were pretty poor. I've since seen newer Zenits in the shops
here, although I haven't handled one, and they look like crap. They're
adequate as a beginner's slr, but personally I'd spend the money on a
used K1000 or Spotmatic or similar rather than a new Zenit.

---

 Bob

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]