Could be the wrong way to go on my part, but I tend to try and avoid
resizing if possible.  For A4 I would first try and go for (by your
calculations) 240ppi or 288ppi and either crop the image or have a white
border and cut to size.  I wouldn't want to go below 144ppi though, so
would have to do some resizing to get to A3.

I have read in numerous places (don't know where offhand) that epson
printers work best with a ppi of 300 and Canon works best with 360 -
kinda like a native resolution for the driver.

I would be interested to know whether results were best by ressing up
the number of pixels and keeping at a high ppi or by dropping the ppi.
I am sure I have read that it is better to let the printer work at a
lower ppi than use the interpolation of adding new pixels.

I am not going to bother testing this on my 6 year old Epson which is
being replace this Xmas, but would be interested to hear other
opinions/experiences - especially if someone wanted to do a proper test
on a modern printer...

Rob