> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:38:34 -0500 (EST), John Francis wrote:
>
> > My current HP is 600 dpi in normal mode, 1200 dpi in best quality.
>
> A printer dot (in dpi) is not equal to an image pixel (in ppi).  A
> printer dithers a pixel across many dots to get a good approximation of
> the color of a pixel.  The HP printer is resampling the image to,
> probably, 300 ppi, then dithering that into a 600 dpi or 1200 dpi
> pattern.

Ah, but the HP PhotoPrinters also have multiple levels of intensity;
they can deposit different amounts of ink at each possible position.
The original PhotoSmart printer was a true 300 ppi printer, without
having to dither.  The current crop really are 1200 ppi (and in fact
they use 1200 x 4800 subpixel dither for even finer level control).