Hi,

Monday, November 3, 2003, 7:18:39 AM, you wrote:

> Had a look at your gallery David. Did you know Big Ben has a crack? To start
> with someone (interfering with the design) increased the weight of the
> hammer and that cracked the bell quite soon. A lighter hammer was installed
> and the bell turned through 90 degrees. It's been ringing ever since - with
> the crack.

I was intrigued to see Dave's 'Roman' clock. The Roman way of telling
the time was very different from ours. They had 24 hours in each day,
but, because they needed to fit 12 into the daytime, and 12 into the
night, and they didn't have mechanical clocks, the length of the hours
varied according to the season from 45 to 75 minutes. There's a website
about it here: http://www.beaglesoft.com/timehistoryroman.htm

Incidentally, converting roman numerals into our arabic format is quite an
interesting little programming exercise - try a calculator which reads roman
numerals, adds, subtracts, mutiplies and divides, and gives the answer
in roman numerals.

--
Cheers,
 Bob                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]