> John,
>
> Have you ever used a recent HP at its highest mode?  I've got
> a 5500, but have not performed the test.  Sharper 4x6, maybe?

No.  I print 8x10s (or larger, now) - I suspect I've got a pack
of 6x4 paper somewhere, but I haven't used it in years.  It's
hard enough to come up with even 600dpi for an 8x10; 6MP from
an *ist-D doesn't come close, and neither does the 10MP I get
from my 2700ppi Nikon Coolscan III.  Even a 4000ppi scan only
just manages to get to 600dpi for a full-frame 10" print. I
doubt if I'll ever come up with a 1200ppi source image.

Mind you, as Herb points out, even 600ppi is probably pushing
the limits of what is physically reproducible on paper media.

I didn't choose the (600ppi) HP over the (360ppi) Epson because
of resolution; I chose it because I'm concerned about clogging
after periods of not being used, and I like the fact that the
HP inkheads are in the cartridge, and so can be replaced easily.
I was also swayed by the fact that HP now use the same cartridge
in almost all their printers - I'm somewhat tempted by the tiny
6x4 printer, and it would be nice to be able to move over the
cartridges from the big printer rather than having two sets of
cartridges to worry about.  If I do get one of those I might be
able to try a 1200ppi print.