Hi,

frank theriault wrote:

> Well, converted into Canadian dollars, that's more or less what I paid for
> mine, bought off a list member.

And about half what I paid nearly (gulp) 10 years ago.  I am definitely
looking for another now.  At the prices they are going for, I don't
understand why anyone would wnat to either do without or sell.

> I think the eBay prices will come down.  I've started seeing it a bit, but
> even more interesting than dropping prices, is the amount of stuff on eBay
> that is going bid-less.  People are getting into digital and wanting to dump
> their film gear without paying a price.  Unreasonable starting bids, or
> unreasonable reseverves are either going to have to drop, or sellers will
> find no bids for their stuff.

Seems to be happening all across ebay.  The stuff I am interested in
either sells for a reasonable price for the seller or has no bids at
all.

> Oddly, I think eBay is ~not~ the place to find bargains at this time, if for
> no other reason that sellers (many of whom may not be "in touch" with the
> marketplace) think that they should be able to get what they paid for, for
> their film gear.  I've noticed some film gear prices dropping in used shops,
> though.  An ME at Henry's for $125 Canadian, a couple of weeks ago.  Nikon
> F4 bodies for about $900 Cdn.  I was just at my repair shop, and saw a 6x7,
> with the metered prism, wooden grip and 55mm for an asking price of $1100
> Cdn.  That's not bad...

And you can play with it and get some form of guarantee - or at least a
Vulcan death grip on the neck of the seller.

> Patience is needed.  It's starting, and prices will continue their downward
> slide.  All these digital wannabe's are going to find that the market won't
> pay exhorbitant prices for used film stuff.

There's just so  much of it....  I feel spoiled for choice 8-)))

mike