On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Collin Brendemuehl wrote:

> Locall, one major film camera retailer pretty much only sells
> film cameras to b&w students.  Almost everyone else gets
> digital  From $1000 to $2000, the nice solutions are really hot.
> And this Christmas they're going to get even hotter.
>
> Collin
>
> <snip>
> >Still, if film were about to die I'd expect KEH would refuse to buy film
> >cameras, or at least only buy the rare ones and ones in collector
> >condition.  They aren't PAYING much for other stuff, but that's
> >presumably because the used market is pretty glutted.
> >
> >DJE

Nice neighborhood you got there, with the average guy buying a $1000-$2000
camera.

I also wonder how many folks buy cameras any given year.  Even if EVERY
camera sold in 2004 is digital, there will still be a lot of film cameras
in use.  Most people are probably happy with their cameras and don't see a
need to shell out a paltry couple of grand to get some new-fangled digital
gadget.  I suspect that digital P&S cameras sell well to people who are
basically non-photographers, just as film P&S cameras did.

DJE