DJE wrote:

Depends on what you need.  Finding batteries for all of them can be a
pain.

Spotmatic SP (original) has no hot shoe for flash, but has X/FP sync
connections.  Meters at working aperture and is full manual and
mechanical.

Spotmatic SPII has flash hot shoe as well as X/FP sync connections, subtle
improvements inside.  Meters at working aperture and is full manual and
mechanical.  SPIIa is the same camera with dedicated contacts for a
specific type of old Honeywell flash.  Only made for a couple of years and
a bit hard to find.

Spotmatic F is basically an SPII with full-aperture metering (with SMC
screw-mount lenses which have the necessary lugs, working aperture with
older or off-brand lenses)
It also has the "meter turns on when lens cap is removed" photo switch.  If
you
actually use the meter, I might recommend this one because it is the most
evolved of the mechanical cameras, plus it is fairly easy to find on the
used market.

Spotmatic ES is electronically controlled automatic with full aperture
metering, or a limited range of (I believe unmetered) faster mechanical
shutter speeds.  No self timer.

Spotmatic ESII is a subtle upgrade of the ES with fuller viewfinder
display of shutter speeds, self-timer.  If you prefer an automatic camera,
this is probably the one to get.

Three "bargain" models were sold as well:

Spotmatic SL is basically an SP without meter.

Spotmatic SP 500 is an SP without selftimer and official max shutter speed
of 1/500th although I believe 1/1000th is still there unmarked but useable.

Spotmatic SP 1000 is an SP 500 that admits to going to 1/1000th.

Pentax also made pre-spotmatic screw-mount cameras which I'd recommend
against for casual use because they are less convenient in features, have
no built-in meter, and have a less durable shutter.  In general parts and
repair are much harder to deal with on the pre-spotmatic cameras
(These would be S, K, S2, S3, H1, H2, H3, H3v, S1, SV)

Personally, I prefer the SPII because I want the hot shoe but don't use
the meters.

DJE

Reply:

Whew, lots of useful information. Thanks! But now I am also a bit confused.
:-)  Re: Which spottie would be best for me. Probably F, but not sure. (Yes,
Cotty. :-))

So I've decided I'll download the manuals from Pentax to help get a clearer
image of what version does what.

Marnie aka Doe  And reread and reread what you wrote. Thanks, again.