On 11/11/03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>>i have the auto review turned off. i review only when i think there might be
>>a problem. since that doesn't happen very often, i save battery power by not
>>having it on except when i need it.
>
>I'm doing the same. My *istD has arrived some weeks ago, but as I havn't
>had much time to use it, I didn't write any reports, here. The camera is
>really fine - especially with the grip. The only thing that I'm missing
>is a wide angle lens - my lenses start at 28mm (i.e. 42mm). Has anyone
>here made experiences with the Sigma wide angles (17-35, 15-30 or the
>new 12-14)?
>
>Cheers, Heiko

Heiko, I have the Sigma EX 14mm 2.8 and use it on my D60, giving an
effective focal length of  22.4mm. On an *ist D it should work out to
about 21mm.

It is a large lens with lots of glass, the front element is weird - a
huge spherical block of ice peering out from a built-in lens hood.
Remember Hal? He's here.

Although multi-coated, the lens does flare in bright sunshine so be
prepared to flag it. See:

<http://www.macads.co.uk/snaps/mods/frenchflag.html>

Otherwise, it is a good performer and considering that you won't be using
the edges on an APS DSLR - typically the worst part of the frame in terms
of performance - then things aren't too bad at all. It is pricey (UK
about 6 to 700 quid new) but they can be found on eBay. Mine was about
£350 from a US seller. I use it frequently for landscape and street. It
is plenty wide for me which is a good thing - to go wider on an APS DSLR
is near impossible.

Personally, with a Pentax I would go for the A 15mm 3.5.

Good luck and HTH,

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__