Hi Cotty,

on 11 Nov 03 you wrote in pentax.list:

>>here made experiences with the Sigma wide angles (17-35, 15-30 or the
>>new 12-14)?

>Heiko, I have the Sigma EX 14mm 2.8 and use it on my D60, giving an
>effective focal length of  22.4mm. On an *ist D it should work out to
>about 21mm.

That's a good hint. Maybe I was focused on wide angle zooms, too much.

>It is a large lens with lots of glass, the front element is weird - a
>huge spherical block of ice peering out from a built-in lens hood.
>Remember Hal? He's here.

Ohoh... I will have to put that set into a closet in order to prevent
any paranoid developments...

>Otherwise, it is a good performer and considering that you won't be using
>the edges on an APS DSLR - typically the worst part of the frame in terms
>of performance - then things aren't too bad at all. It is pricey (UK
>about 6 to 700 quid new) but they can be found on eBay.

I have never seen one on eBay Germany (but I did never search one there
;-)). Let's see if I can find one. But the price is quite high - you're
right.

>I use it frequently for landscape and street. It
>is plenty wide for me which is a good thing - to go wider on an APS DSLR
>is near impossible.

There will be this Sigma 12-24 with 122° angle of view. They say that it
will work on a 35mm SLR, too. I can't imagine how that could work -
seems to be against all physics.

>Personally, with a Pentax I would go for the A 15mm 3.5.

I have an eye on them at eBay. Sometimes you can get one at 450-500 Euro
- that would be about the same as the Sigma EX14. So it comes to a
trade-off: SMC without AF or AF without SMC. At the moment I would go
for the Pentax, too.

Cheers and thanks,

Heiko