"Leonard Paris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What I think they are saying is that they are dismayed by someone leaking
>the decision before they were ready to make it public.  They probably wanted
>to sell more of their existing film cameras before breaking the news.

Speaking of which, has anyone else been following the ongoing fiasco
with Nikon's announcement that they are developing a full-frame
DSLR...and subsequent denial of same?

Last month's Popular Photography featured an interview with a Mr Komura
of Nikon, who revealed (big surprise) that Nikon is developing a
full-frame DSLR.

This month there's a "correction":

> " Mr. Komura told Mr. Keppler  that Nikon will use
> the smaller sensor in future digital SLR cameras at all levels.
> "Nikon will continue to study full-size sensors," he said,
> "but it is for study only." "

There's a great Dilbert comic strip in which Dilbert is giving a
presentation to a prospective customer and has virtually closed the
sale. Then the Pointy-Haired Boss show up and starts bragging about how
great the *next* version of the product is going to be. At which point
the customer says, "Wow, I guess I'll postpone my purchase until the
next version comes out".

In the original Pop Photo interview Mr. Komura played the part of the
PHB. Of course, he was promptly called into *his* boss's office and
slapped hard for such a blunder. By revealing Nikon's plans for a
full-frame DSLR he caused thousands of prospective buyers to put off
plans for buying a D1h or for upgrading to the inevitable D2h. Trying to
backtrack now makes things even worse: Instead of not buying a new
Nikon, people will switch to Canon.

Of course Nikon is going to release a full-frame DSLR! They aren't going
to roll over and let Canon walk all over them! But it's going to be a
while and they can't afford to lose sales while they do their R&D. But
with the two-part public relations fiasco in Pop Photo, losing sales is
exactly what is going to happen...

The original interview and subsequent correction represent an supremely
foolish move and a supremely foolish followup.

No wonder Pentax doesn't announce what their plans for lens mount
changes, new cameras, etc. are.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing