I'm having a hard time swallowing the fact that film will be disappearing
any time soon.  I'm also having a hard time understanding that even film P&S
will disappear either.  Throw away cameras that probably require the same
processing are also very hot items for the occasional family photoshoot.  My
reasoning is based on plain old dollars and cents.  I'm not sure the
majority of any public is ready for shelling out the dinero for digital
cameras at today's prices.  Consider that you can buy a 35mm P&S for $35 and
a pretty decent one for under a $100.  Also consider someone can break into
SLR market for under $200 or less.  In the case of P&S which is the real
mass producer, I'm guessing that would be 5 to 6 times as much.  Going on
the Canon Rebel price about 4 times as much for SLR.  I'm thinking the
purchasers of digital cameras in general are a lot more serious about
photography then  the average person.  What percentage of the total market
does this cover?  I realize prices will keep coming down, but will they ever
really compete with film-based equipment on this level.  Does or will the
AVERAGE user actually even take enough photos to justify the price.  Whether
you print in your home or have prints made, processing still costs about the
same.  Based on this line of thought it might also be feasible to easily
saturate your market if it does not really include a wide population base.
I can't remember where, but I have seen it in print that others think the
digital market may be overrated and easily saturated.  The one thing they
have going for them is I would bet the digital cameras won't last nearly as
long and will have to soon be replaced.  If not for that because they are
soon be outdated.  You would think these manufacturers would have done their
homework in statistics, but you never know.

If any line would be discontinued I would expect it to be prolevel film SLR
equipment as this market probably will switch to all digital very soon.
This line of thinking would lean towards more film SLRs, but expect them to
be of the *ist variety.  Fortunately they will still all burn the same film
that we also use in our better cameras.  Although probased film lines may
well disappear...ugh!

A plus for film is the amount of R&D that is still going into film scanners
as well.

I'm actually surprised at the amount of enthusiasm on this list for this
modern equipment.  For some reason I always pictured the average Pentax user
as a more conservative type of photographer that enjoyed the manual cameras
without autofocus even.

One last point, I've been considering going to the New England School of
Photography in Boston, and according to the agenda on their website an awful
lot of work is still being emphasized in the old fashioned darkroom.  Why
would they continue to teach this if it was obvious that digital is the
future?

Dave