LOL. But companies do this all the time however (lose money to gain market share). Esp Japanese companies. Remember all the fuss over DRAM back in the 80's and the "dumping" below cost to put other DRAM companies out of business? Pentax doesn't have that deep of pockets however, hence the caveat at the end.

graywolf wrote:
Ah yes, Pentax should sell the camera at a loss. A couple of hundred dollars a camera is nothing to worry about. After all they can make it up in film sales.

--

Robert Gonzalez wrote:

And Pentax may have made a mistake by not pricing the *istD more aggressively. Canon may have stolen the *istD's thunder by coming out with the 300D at < $1000, which they may have thought the Pentax camera was going to priced at. By not competing with the 300D, in which Pentax would have been clearly superior to, it got lost in the noise. Lack of deep pockets to fight that war may have been the reason. It probably would have been unsustainable at those price levels, even for the lucrative market share it might have given them.

rg