----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Lee"
Subject: Re: New Pentax SMC-DA 3.5-4.5/15-26

> I agree with this totally. I give them points for identifying, and tending
> to this market, but if Canon unveils a full frame CCD in a 300D price
range
> a bit too soon, it'll be a disaster for Pentax if they've committed too
much
> to this APS sized sensors and lenses etc.. If Pentax decides to have a bit
> of foresight, they might have a ears up trying to find out whether Canon
> will follow suit with DA type lenses or is trying to tame full frame,
> because it does seem to have implications for Pentax eitherway. How long
> will DA last? I give it 2 years.. 3 optimistically.. but who knows :)

If Canon releases a full frame DSLR priced like the 300D, it will be a
disaster for a lot more companies than Pentax.
However, Canon is also busily releasing lenses specifically for the 300D (or
at least a lens anyway).
There is no arguement that Canon is the market leader at the moment, if they
are releasing lenses to cover the APS sized sensor, I would venture to
speculate that they think that sensor size will be around for a while.
It is entirely possible that 24x36mm sensors will stay prohibitively
expensive, and not filter down to the mainstream user.

William Robb