On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:28:43 -0700, David Madsen wrote:

>I am feeling a bit week, but not quite broken.  I am in lust with the *istD,
>but do not have enough money.  My question for the owners of this fine
>camera is, should I sell my film equipment to purchase the D?  I have an
>MZ-S, FA 100mm f2.8 macro, FA* 85mm f1.4, and an FA 50mm f1.4.  I also have
>a Mamiya C330f with 80mm f2.8 lens.  Should I sell this stuff to go digital?
>I obviously like fast lenses.  My primary subject is portrait/people
>photography.  I would appreciate any input all of you may have.

David,

I have the *istD and also 2 MZ-S's  While the *istD is wonderful to use
and is the only digital camera I have considered, I would not and will
not get rid of the MZ-S's.  I admit that I do shoot slides for the
marine field work that I do and that waving a AU$2700 body above sea
water and in areas with salt spray in the air and where waves are
crashing around is just a little bit too much for me (especially when
the MZ-S with 64ISO Kodachrome gives me better results).  the lenses
you have are some of the finest that Pentax have made and can give you
far better results on film, particularly for portraiture where wide
latitude films will capture more highlight and shadow details than a
digital sensor.

Keep your lenses and keep saving and add the *istD when you can afford
it, but if I was you I'd keep the Pentax gear.  As you do portraiture
I'd probably keep the Mamiya too.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon