Hi Frank ...

People are people ... some have useful arms and legs, others don't and may need help
to get around (wheel chair, crutches, what have
you).  Some may look pretty scruffy, or appear to be drunk, but they are just people,
and you're not exploiting them any more or less
than you may be some guy in a suit (who, just for the sake of argument, may have some
other, perhaps less noticeable problem), who, it
seems, you'd have little or no problem talking with or photographing.

People in wheel chairs, people who have disabilities, who don't fit some "norm" are
just people.  You ride a bike, they travel in a
wheelchair.  Treat 'em the same way.  In most cases they'll appreciate your interest
since they are often shunned.  And, if you can get
to talking with them, which is generally helpful BEFORE making a photo, you'll learn
about them, and their life, and their problems, and
maybe learn a few things about your self as well.  But, since this is the PDML, maybe
it should just be said that it'll improve the
photos you do make.

Y'know, I'll sometimes sit on the sidewalk alongside the street panhandlers, or sit
alongside someone in a cafe or restaurant, and just
strike up a conversation, and see where it goes.  One of the most difficult photos
I've taken was of a guy in a wheel chair ... he had
no feet, and he was sitting in his chair, panhandling, right in front of a shop called
the "Shoe Pavillion," in the window of which were
dozens of pairs of shoes that he could never wear.  I couldn't pass up that shot, but
I couldn't just sneak a shot either, so I struck
up a conversation with him, and he told me how his situation came to be.  At that
point I asked if I could make a few photos ...

But don't hesitate to grab a shot without asking permission.  You can always discuss
their situation afterwards.

http://home.earthlink.net/~scbelinkoff/images/eric-at-work.html

This guy is homeless, but I discovered that he's a hard worker.  Here he is with just
a small portion of the plastic bottles he'd
collected that day, busy removing the caps, emptying their contents.  After talking
with him for a while I learned where he sells the
recyclables he collects, where the best free meals in Berkeley are, who some of his
colleagues and competition is, about how much he
earns each day.

Thing is, Frank, unless you talk to the people you're uncomfortable talking with,
you'll always remain uncomfortable around them.
You'll never really know who they are.  What I discovered about Eric is that he's a
very hard worker, and seemingly a very responsible
and caring person.  He's not just some slacker who's on the dole ... he works every
day.

shel