Hi,

alex wetmore wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, mike wilson wrote:
> > Shel Belinkoff wrote:
> > > Are you saying that there has to be a lot of power at both ends of the
> > > connection?  That the computers have to "match" in some way?
> >
> > No, it just seems to me that when I access something using a high speed
> > connection and the site is very slow, it is probably not the fault of
> > the equipment at my end.
>
> Websites can be hosted over slow connections, or there could be a
> overused pipe between your computer and the one that you are trying to
> access.  This is just the nature of the beast.
>
> I upgraded my DSL bandwidth about a year ago because accessing
> photographs that I share out over my website was getting slow.  My new
> DSL has the same download speed (how quickly I can download from
> others) but three times more upload speed (how quickly others can
> download from me).  Most people don't run servers on their DSL lines,
> but it isn't that uncommon either.
>
> When you get high speed broadband it increases your maximum download,
> but it doesn't make everything else on the internet faster.

Understood, but if a site is _always_ slow, no matter what time of day
you access it, and it is an "intensive" site, then I have to assume that
either the machine hosting it is slow or the initial access to the Net
it has is slow.  Either way, to me it is a slow site and I tend to not
bother with sites like that - especially if they are slow purely for for
the sake of fashion.  I have a (female) friend who contends that
"fashion" is effectively a synonym for "stupid" and I heartily agree
with her.  Form follows function.....

mike