The cards start paying for themselves the second time that you format
and re-use them.  Though they seem expensive in the beginning, after a
few years, you can pretty much pay for the cards and the camera that you
use them in.  How many rolls of film do you shoot per year?  Add up the
cost of the film. The digital darkroom isn't free but, if you are
reading this list, you've already got most of what you need in hardware.
If you are as meticulous in shooting with a digital camera as you are in
shooting with a film camera, you won't need expensive software to "fix"
your pictures. I, personally take my digital images to WalMart and let
them print 4" x 6" prints of the keepers on their Fuji Frontier.  $0.26
per print is cheaper than I can do it at home.  Anything I want to print
really big, bigger than 13" x 19", I upload to Ofoto.com.  A 20" x 30"
print costs About $23.00.  Yes, the Kodak folks at Ofoto make a great
20" x 30" print from a 6MP DSLR.  As a matter of fact, they say you
don't need that much resolution to get a good 20" x 30" print.

Now you know all of my "secrets"

Len
 * There's no place like 127.0.0.1