To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 5:48 AM
Subject: Re: OT-Totally OT but...

Okay, are we into strange (= different) food now?

My mother used to make sandwiches out of thick sliced homemade bread,
slathered with homemade butter and liberally sprinkled with sugar.
Sometimes brown sugar, with lumps in it. . .
Back then, altho' I didn't really know it, we were as poor as church
mice (height of the depression) and I got a lot of inventive meals.
Like you, I just thought all Ohio country boys ate that way.
I'd go to school and trade with classmates who (poor kids!) had
home-cured pork and mayo sandwiches.
Both of us felt we got a treat!
And we did! Her mom wouldn't let her eat that way, had she known, and my
folks didn't have the money to get the pork.

keith whaley